Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Week 2 - Observation Exercise: Unity

For the next class, we are to bring in an example of design which embodies the idea of "Unity".

What about the designs are pulling various elements together?


To look at designs, this time I went no farther than "Pinterest"!



I used to think this app was only for girls. And to be fair, an overwhelming majority of users are women. I think the stat is like 70%?

Anyways, for all you aspiring designers, you gotta get on Pinterest. Loads of inspiration waiting to be discovered.



Alrighty let's talk about designs that have


Into The Wild


I love this first design that we have here.

Just the way the "Into The Wild" sinks behind the flowers.

The flowers jutting in front of the other elements really give that nice tight and cozy feeling when looking at this design.

The leaves, text, and flowers, are all united while the birds and the butterflies are more satellite elements in this design.





Bookshelf


I can't begin to describe how happy this makes me feel. I must have it at my place.

Books are one of my favorite things and the way the shelves are organized is just amazing.

The thing that unites these bookshelves together are definitely the color and the proximity.

They all have equal margins around them.





Hello St Paul


Although this next design wouldn't be the thing that will get you to sign your new lease. It definitely will get you to search for them on google just to see what the floor plans look like and what the view is really like.

The way the chairs and sofa are pointed towards the table give that cozy feeling.

Yet as soon as you peek out the window, you see really small building indicating that they are really far down and away.

Everything in the apartment is united while everything out the window is the "other".





Abani


This next design is something right up my alley, Web Design.

The sections are clearly divided by the margins between the blocks as well as differentiating colors.

Each section has an image of the product item as well as corresponding descriptive text.

There's no mistake which text is describing what product because of the division of sections as well as the proximity between the text and product image.

It's really clear what the product name is, what the subtext/description is, and what the call to action (call to buy) is.

Really sleek. Really easy for the eyes to parse. Really pleasing color scheme.







In this exercise I really tried to go for different realms of design.

I definitely had more to say about the Web Design. It was much easier for me to point out what made it so good because I simply have spent much more time studying it and being exposed to it because of my job as a web developer.


The other 3 designs I had difficulty finding the words that made it so great.

I was pretty much saying, "it's so nice because... it's so nice."


I think I'll be looking back at these designs a little more and try to pinpoint what it is exactly that I like about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment