Saturday, April 9, 2016

Week 1 - Homework: One word.

The "One Word" assignment is a continuation of the black square. However rather than doing multiple ones, we are to focus our efforts into one word.

As I was sipping my coffee on a warm sunny Seattle day, I was thinking about what the "one word" should be. Nothing came to mind until I realized I was drinking my coffee to get "jolted".

So that's what I decided... "jolted"!


Immediately the two pieces of imagery that were coming to mind were.

1. Lightning




2. The Pokemon Jolteon

More notably it's the hair raising on the animals back that indicate it's "jolted".





Let's start the assignment!!!


I had to make 12 thumbnails (essentially mini sketches) do get the creative fluid running.

As someone who is sort of a perfectionist, I had to make really nice squares.




And then erase the unnecessary lines.




This literally took me like 10 minutes to do... yeah I don't think I'll put this much effort on making squares again. I think I'll just do it on the computer next time and print out sheets.



My 12 thumbnails!!!


1. Lightning

I really tried to start with the whole lightning thing...

but... it didn't really pan out on the paper as it did in my head.




2. Hit by lightning

Rather than trying to display lightning, maybe show the blocks after they just got struck by lightning.




3. Hit by lightning 2

So I tried doing the same thing but have the blocks more parallel with each other.

Hmmm... not the best execution. I think the prior example was still better.




4. Exclamation Mark

Next I randomly thought to do an exclamation mark to say "jolted".

And I... don't like it at all.




5. 3 non-jolted, 1 jolted

During class, we really did well with the structure of having 3 squares act as the "background" or "context" and 1 square be the "foreground" and the one that's representing the word.

Yeah doesn't look "jolted" at all.

I really don't know what the last square is doing honestly haha.




6. Wave?

Not sure what I was thinking here. Maybe an "electric wave".

This really does not work at all haha.




7. Freeze frames of jolted item

I was thinking that if a block gets hit by lightning then it'll move and jump.

Was trying to capture that.




8. Freeze frames of jolted item with acceleration

I think it's more realistic to add some "acceleration".

Yeah... I like physics... a lot haha.

Better than the previous one but not very good still.




9. Vertical motion of jolted block

Yeah not liking this one at all. It just looks like a piece free-falling.





10. Nervous animal

So I tried to do the whole Pokemon "jolteon" thing.

But it just looks really bad haha.

WTF is going on??? haha. no idea.




11. More freeze frames

Yeah I couldn't get away from the "freeze frames".

Tried doing so with a bounce and horizontal movement.

But it embodies "bounce" more than "jolt".

Yeah getting pretty frustrated now.




12. Arched animal back

I started to think, "What does an animal look like when 'on-guard'"?

I thought of a nervous cat with that high arched back and tried to replicate it.

And this... thing... is what I got.

Looks more like rocks.






So there we have it. My 12 sketches.

The point of the exercise and me posting these up were not really to show you how "good" my thumbnails are because they clearly are not "good".

Rather the whole point of the thumbnails are to not be "good". They are like the brain storm session where you take what you like and expand on that and remove what you don't like.

Even if we find a really good thumbnail that we like on drawing number 3, we are instructed to still draw all 12. We might find an even better one on drawing number 11. You'll never know if number 11 is good unless you try to draw it.


I like drawing number 2 and will probably roll with this one.




What do you think??? Let me know your thoughts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment